Legal Requirements –
The Publishing “Fine Print”
This section describes the Copyrights for JTAH and Authors, Attribution & Usage Policies, Personal Use Exceptions, and General Terms and Conditions of Use:
- Copyrights for Authors and JTAH
- Attribution & Usage Policies
- Personal Use Exceptions
- General Terms and Conditions of Use
- Author’s Submittal Agreement
Rights for Authors and JTAH.org
As further described in the submission agreement (“Submission Agreement”), in consideration for publication of the article, the authors assign to JTAH.org all copyright in the article, subject to the expansive personal-use exceptions described below.
Attribution and Usage Policies
Reproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the article or any material therein, in any medium, is permitted by a personal-use exemption granted by JTAH.org, requires credit to JTAH.org as copyright holder (e.g., Journal of Texas Archeology and History.org © 2017).
The following uses are always permitted to the author(s) and do not require further permission from JTAH.org provided the author does not alter the format or content of the articles, including the copyright notification:
- Storage and back-up of the article on the author’s computer(s) and digital media (e.g., diskettes, back-up servers, Zip disks, etc.), provided that the article stored on these computers and media is not readily accessible by persons other than the author(s);
- Posting of the article on the author(s) personal website, provided that the website is non-commercial;
- Posting of the article on the internet as part of a non-commercial open access institutional repository or other non-commercial open access publication site affiliated with the author(s)’s place of employment (e.g., a Phrenology professor at the University of Southern North Dakota can have her article appear in the University of Southern North Dakota’s Department of Phrenology online publication series); and
- Posting of the article on a non-commercial course website for a course being taught by the author at the university or college employing the author.
Please note: “Publication” in a working-paper series does not constitute prior publication. By submitting material to JTAH.org, the author is stipulating that the material is not currently under review at another journal (electronic or print) and that he or she will not submit the material to another journal (electronic or print) until the completion of the editorial decision process at JTAH.org. If you have concerns or questions about the submission terms for JTAH, please contact the Editors-in-Chief.
General Terms and Conditions of Use
Users of the JTAH.org website and/or publications agree not to misuse the JTAH.org product in any way.
The failure of JTAH.org to exercise or enforce any right or provision in the Policies does not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any term of these policies is found to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of these policies remain in full force and effect. These policies constitute the entire agreement between JTAH.org and the Author(s) regarding submission of the Article.
AUTHORS’ Submittal Agreement on Copyright Transfer to JTAH.org, Inc.
By act of submittal of an article or “Special Publication” manuscript, the author or authors thereby indicate their full agreement of these foregoing Policies, requirements, stipulations and Copyright ownership by the JTAH.org regarding publication of their works on the JTAH.org website.
Authors seeking an exception or who have questions about use regarding the Publishing Policies and Fine Print must contact the Publisher.