Legal Requirements – The Publishing “Fine Print”
This section describes the Editorial and Peer Review Processes, Copyrights for JTAH and Authors, Attribution & Usage Policies, Personal Use Exceptions, and General Terms and Conditions of Use:
• Editorial Decision Process
• Peer Review Process
• Copyrights for Authors and JTAH
• Attribution & Usage Policies
• Personal Use Exceptions
• General Terms and Conditions of Use
Editorial Decision Process
Manuscripts are received by the Editor-in-Chief who conducts a preliminary review of the work for adherence to general submission guidelines. As warranted, the submission may be discussed anonymously with a member of the Editorial Board with appropriate expertise for evaluating the manuscript. Once approved, the manuscript is sent by the Editor-in-Chief to selected reviewers to initiate the peer review process. All decisions regarding a manuscript will be at the sole discretion of the Editor-in-Chief and those decisions are final. The Editor-in-Chief will advise authors of all manuscript decisions.
Peer Review Process
Manuscripts accepted for peer review will be submitted to a minimum of two peer reviewers and in most cases there will be three peer reviewers; one of which will be a member of our Editorial Board. It will be the Editor-in-Chief’s sole discretion whether or not to disclose the identity of the reviewers of any manuscript.
Peer Reviewers communicate their findings via stand-alone comments and a tracked-changes marked-up version directly to the Editor-in Chief who will make a decision to either:
• Accept as is
• Accept with minor revisions
• Major revisions recommended
Submissions are reviewed based on the following criteria:
1. A core research question is posed, and is connected to or emerges from previous scholarship
2. A thesis is stated in the introduction, addressed throughout each section of the manuscript, and reiterated in the conclusion
3. The manuscript is well-structured and organized with labeled sections and sub-arguments introduced at the beginning of sections
4. A research methodology is identified and applied, and analysis is well-supported and relates to the core research question
5. The submission includes an informative abstract which contains the core research question, announcement of sub-topics, key findings (connected to chosen methodology), and thesis statement.
1. The author’s voice is clear and consistent and sentence structure flows well
2. The author’s language reflects advanced and scholarly competency
3. The manuscript contains correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling
1. APA citation style, 6th edition, is applied consistently and correctly throughout the manuscript
2. There are at sufficient current, pertinent, scholarly references
1. The manuscript is relevant, original, and significantly contributes to archeology or history scholarship.
If you have questions regarding the submission process, please contact the Editor-in-Chief.
Rights for Authors and JTAH.org
As further described in the submission agreement (“Submission Agreement”), in consideration for publication of the article, the authors assign to JTAH all copyright in the article, subject to the expansive personal-use exceptions described below.
Attribution and Usage Policies
Reproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the article or any material therein, in any medium is permitted by a personal-use exemption granted by JTAH, requires credit to JTAH as copyright holder (e.g., Journal of Texas Archeology and History.org © 2014).
The following uses are always permitted to the author(s) and do not require further permission from JTAH provided the author does not alter the format or content of the articles, including the copyright notification:
1. Storage and back-up of the article on the author’s computer(s) and digital media (e.g., diskettes, back-up servers, Zip disks, etc.), provided that the article stored on these computers and media is not readily accessible by persons other than the author(s);
2. Posting of the article on the author(s) personal website, provided that the website is non-commercial;
3. Posting of the article on the internet as part of a non-commercial open access institutional repository or other non-commercial open access publication site affiliated with the author(s)’s place of employment (e.g., a Phrenology professor at the University of Southern North Dakota can have her article appear in the University of Southern North Dakota’s Department of Phrenology online publication series); and
4. Posting of the article on a non-commercial course website for a course being taught by the author at the university or college employing the author.
Please note: “Publication” in a working-paper series does not constitute prior publication. By submitting material to JTAH, the author is stipulating that the material is not currently under review at another journal (electronic or print) and that he or she will not submit the material to another journal (electronic or print) until the completion of the editorial decision process at JTAH.org. If you have concerns or questions about the submission terms for JTAH, please contact the Editor-in-Chief.
General Terms and Conditions of Use
Users of the JTAH.org website and/or publications agree not to misuse the JTAH product in any way.
The failure of JTAH to exercise or enforce any right or provision in the Policies does not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any term of these policies is found to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of these policies remain in full force and effect. These policies constitute the entire agreement between JTAH.org and the Author(s) regarding submission of the Article.
Submittal of an article or “Special Publication” shall constitute full agreement by the author of these Policies regarding publication of their works on the JTAH.org website.
Authors seeking an exception or who have questions about use regarding the Publishing Policies and Fine Print should Contact the Publisher, Steve Davis.